topics


Friday, March 24, 2017

Giving Up Distractions--Procrastination




Are you a habitual procrastinator? We all put things off from time to time, but when we make it a habit, the weight those items that we are leaving undone can accumulate and hold us back from living the lives we hope for. I feel the pressure when there is a to-do list in the back of my mind, even when I'm not consciously thinking about it. I feel much lighter these days as a result of reducing the distractions I've been working on this Lent, including removing those burdens of procrastination.

If you have let certain things go for too long, start by getting them out of your head and on paper. That way you won't have to continue trying to hold them in your memory. Do the things you can easily do first. You might have doctor appointments that you need to make, a thank you letter or other correspondence that you need to send, phone calls to return, an overdue trip to the grocery store, or basic housework that needs attending to. Just catching up on the laundry can give one a huge boost!

Then you can move on to the longer, more involved projects. Repairs to the house, painting a space that desperately needs it, decluttering a room filled with overwhelming piles of stuff...

And that's where I am now. Having caught up on the smaller procrastinated items, I have no excuse left not to get to finishing my paring down and re-ordering of personal and household possessions. The best place to start is always with your own clothes. I've been in the habit for the past few years of going through my clothing in the spring and when the cold days of fall hit. I give away pieces that no longer fit or that I don't like anymore, or have just seen better days. This process helps with one's Lenten almsgiving. I'm putting the winter clothes I'm keeping away in the back of my closet and getting my spring/summer items washed.

For the rest of Lent I will keep you posted on my process of giving up clutter--once and for all! But remember, in all of the hustle and bustle of housekeeping and hospitality a la Martha, to prioritize the better part that Mary has chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments brief and respectful. Personal attacks or any comments deemed inappropriate will not be published. Thank you!