topics


Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Feast of St. Therese, the Little Flower



To be honest, dear readers, I've still been feeling a lot of anxiety over the state of the Catholic Church, and with the Amazon Synod only five days away, I'm fighting a foreboding dread. But today is the Feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, and if anyone can shower us with roses, it is she. In the previous post I emphasized that to fight the good fight, we must be saints. One of the best ways to become a saint is to emulate those canonized by the Church. 

We can feel so small and powerless against forces beyond our control. Opinions galore on Pope Francis flood the Internet. I feel like I should do something Henny Penny style, running through the streets warning everyone that the sky is falling. I wish it were a mere acorn dropped on our heads. How can we possibly shoulder this burden? 

St. Therese has the solution. She said, "Miss no single opportunity of making some small sacrifice, here by a smiling look, there by a kindly word; always doing the smallest right, & doing it all for love."  

I have attempted to simplify my life over and over again, but at times I realize that I'm trying to pile too much on. I tell myself that I must do great things. But St. Therese did not strive to do great things. Instead, she offered up all the small things of everyday life to God, using her sacrifices for his purpose. In the process, Therese became one of the most beloved of saints, as well as one of four female Doctors of the Church. Her spiritual writings are chock full of simple wisdom. 

October 7 is the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary, and this entire month is dedicated in honor of Mary, the Mother of God. This morning I woke early from a nightmare, so I took hold of my Rosary from the bed stand and prayed the Sorrowful Mysteries. Following Therese's "little way," my plan is to simply pray the Rosary daily this month and offer up my small sacrifices for Pope Francis, the Amazon Synod, and the Church, praying only that God's will be done. 




A part of me wants to keep up on the news, but following it all on YouTube is too overwhelming. I've got to lay this burden down. 

I've been reading a Psalm a day at least a few times a week, but I'm going to make this a daily commitment. Rawley Myers' book, Embraced by Mary, contains devotions for the entire month of October. 

So there is my plan. The Rosary, the Psalms, Myers' meditations, and going about my day with intention, following St. Therese's little way. No YouTube, for either news or self-improvement. I have my tasks, and worry is not one of them. 

Make the most of this October, my friends, and may you be richly blessed and showered with heavenly roses. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments brief and respectful. Personal attacks or any comments deemed inappropriate will not be published. Thank you!