topics


Thursday, April 5, 2012

In the Right Place

How do you know you are in the right place at the right time? This morning I woke up earlier than usual. Because of that, I found a wonderfully inspiring blog to read to begin my day. Also, I was sitting here when the phone rang, so my aunt was able to ask me to babysit my 6-year-old cousin today. My aunt said that my being here is such a blessing! I know I am in the right place because I am able to serve others when they need me. God put me here, in this house, in this town, in this time in history, with my particular family. I could have moved somewhere else, but I was called here, to my hometown village, and I answered the call.

Three years ago we adopted a dog that the Humane Society rescued from being chained up in a field, starving to death, pregnant, and full of heart worms. Three of her five puppies lived, and Daisy survived the heart worm treatment. She also survived mammary cancer. Now she has survived another close call, as her heart has become enlarged and a chain reaction of problems resulted in her breathing almost being completely cut off. While she was at the vet, I noticed all the dog hair that is always covering my hard wood floors, and I knew I would rather have the dog than cleaner floors. The extra work is worth it for the privilege of caring for this loving creature who has been through so much.

We are called in so many ways to mother. Neglected neighbor children have sat at my table for dinner. I took over a club task for my grandmother who is so relieved to no longer carry the responsibility. I have the space to hold many joyous family gatherings at my home. If I had never become a mother, I wonder if I would ever have realized that it's not all about me, my needs, my wants, my convenience. Mothers are put out of their way every single day. That's why we are here, in this place, in this time, and today I choose to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments brief and respectful. Personal attacks or any comments deemed inappropriate will not be published. Thank you!