topics


Thursday, January 2, 2014

French Actress Crush

On New Year's Eve my husband and I watched the movie, Now You See Me on DVD. The French actress Melanie Laurent, who I had never previously seen, plays an Interpol agent. She was blonde in this movie, but I found images of her also with light brown hair. I loved her quintessential French look. She did not appear to have been made over by Hollywood stylists, but rather looked as though she was wearing clothes right out of her own closet and had done her own hair and makeup. And of course it was le no makeup look! Her hair was usually in a casual bun at the nape of her neck, and she even wore the classic black and white striped shirt in one scene. Melanie is my new style crush. I'm in love!

Perhaps for 2014 you can choose a style muse. She doesn't have to be French, but she should be real. Someone who can inspire you while wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Melanie was subtly sexy, not overtly a bombshell. If you are a natural bombshell type, more power to you. Channel your inner Marilyn Monroe. But as you know, I'm going for that certain joie de vivre that manifests as an understated attention to detail, a quiet inner strength, an authentic passion for life framed by adherence to tradition. And come to think of it, Marilyn was nothing if not mysterious.

I am making no resolutions for 2014. I don't think that would be very French, do you? Aren't you already fabulous just the way you are?


Melanie Laurent